EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR'S MESSAGE
Yannick Glemarec, Executive Director of GCF, said that the UN’s Greening the Blue initiative represents a great example of how UN bodies can overcome the challenge of reducing their carbon footprint and negative environmental impacts.
“GCF plays a crucial role in helping developing countries to respond to climate change by financing low-emission and climate resilient development. As a member of the Greening the Blue initiative, GCF is committed to strengthening its internal sustainability efforts to ensure that all our operations reflect the values at the heart of our organisation.”
The mandate of GCF is to promote a paradigm shift towards low-emission and climate-resilient development pathways by providing support to developing countries to limit or reduce their greenhouse gas emissions (mitigation) and to adapt to the impacts of climate change (adaptation). Given the urgency and seriousness of climate change, the purpose of GCF is to make a significant and ambitious contribution to global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat climate change.
The Green Climate Fund is headquartered in Songdo, Incheon City, Republic of Korea, where it opened its doors in December 2013.
Songdo is a planned city, built on reclaimed land and part of the Incheon Free Economic Zone. It is located some 65 km southwest of Seoul and lies within close proximity to Incheon International Airport (ICN). The offices of GCF are located in G-Tower, an eco-friendly building that is also home to several United Nations agencies.
ALIGNMENT WITH THE STRATEGY FOR SUSTAINABILITY MANAGEMENT IN THE UNITED NATIONS SYSTEM, 2020–2030
This year the GCF developed the GCF Sustainability Strategy and Sustainable Procurement Manual. The next steps will be the implementation of the Sustainability Strategy and adoption of the GCF internal Environmental Management System. Meanwhile, the GSI social team is organising sustainability and environmental campaigns and events and preparing a staff sustainability training module. Offsetting is under consideration and the GSI environmental team collected all data for a GCF baseline emissions inventory and conducted a baseline analysis for 2019, which will be included in the Greening the Blue report.
Events: this year GSI launched two social initiatives: Green Lunch Dialogue and SWAP week. The Green Lunch Dialogue is a monthly virtual lunch series for those interested in sustainable lifestyle practices. SWAP week is a monthly organized event that takes place one week a month. A community swap event helps staff give and exchange usable goods with their colleagues for free.
Information and Communication Technologies (ICT):
• The ICT team had a major migration of our back end infrastructure by eliminating many components in our server room. This will decrease the consumption of power by more than 80% and improve our security.
• ICT distributed the Secured-Printing driver to all laptops in G-tower with default settings to print double-sided and grey.
• Approximately 83% of infrastructure on business services are now in the cloud.
• All printers are set to sleep (power safe) after 45-60 min of no use.
• All new laptops purchased since 2018 are low power consumption (65W).
Emissions reduction scheme is under development
EMS AND REDUCTION EFFORTS
We are in the process of developing our internal Environmental Management System.
INVENTORY MANAGEMENT PLANS
We included in our inventory of GHG emissions travel, vehicle; water/energy/paper consumption; heating and cooling.
Carbon offsetting scheme is under development.
The building does its own recycling but we don’t have any systematic method of measuring, reporting and managing waste.
WATER AND WASTEWATER MANAGEMENT
We don’t have any systematic method of measuring, reporting and managing water and wastewater.
For next year we are planning to:
- be climate neutral
- 100% eliminate/offset GHG Emissions from air travel
- reduce paper consumption in the office
- encourage reducing individual carbon footprints through promotion of low-carbon lifestyle choices (continue initiatives that we launched in 2020)
- provide mandatory training on sustainability at the workplace for all GCF staff
- develop the GCF Internal Environmental Management System
Recent News & Stories
Efforts to Reduce Single-Use Items and Food Waste at Board Meetings of the Green Climate Fund - 10 June 2021